Dayton Performing Arts Alliance/SD&A Teleservices | Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager
Sales Representative and Customer Service, part-time
We are looking for several enthusiastic and articulate agents to work with patrons interested in the Opera, Ballet, and/or Philharmonic Orchestra in Dayton. Experience in sales is a definite plus. This past season was a record breaker, and we are expecting more of the same this year!
Consultants will work from a list of previous patrons, so no cold-calling! This job is great for students, retirees, or anyone with a need for flexible scheduling. We have up to 24 hours a week possible, and our office is located in the Victoria Theatre building in Dayton with free parking.
If you want to support the arts, talk to like-minded patrons, and gain valuable nonprofit job experience, then this is the place to be. Hourly pay + commission on all sales + FREE tickets to each of our Ballet, Symphony, Rockin’ and Opera productions!
We are hiring agents immediately for the new season, so contact us at 937-281-4022. Please leave a message. If you send a resumé to [email protected], don’t forget to give contact phone information.
Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager
A) Basic Function:
The Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager will manage all aspects of production for staged performances of the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance, including Dayton Ballet and Dayton Opera mainstage productions, collaborative presentations, miscellaneous Dayton Philharmonic presentations that involve theatrical cues, DBII performances and the Dayton Ballet School show. He/She is responsible for the smooth integration of artistic and technical aspects of staged productions and will be directly and actively involved in coordinating rehearsal and performances logistics and supervising personnel involved in staged productions.
B) Qualification Requirements:
The Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager shall possess the following qualifications:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in music, dance, theatre/stage management, or arts administration preferred.
2. Prior experience in arts production and specifically opera/musical theatre/ballet production management required.
3. Music reading ability required.
4. Budgeting ability and experience required.
5. High level of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
6. Must be able to work many nights and weekends.
7. Must have access to personal vehicle and have valid driver’s license. Ability to drive up to 26-foot, non-CDL truck highly recommended.
C) General Responsibilities:
As a member of his/her department, the Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager is responsible for the following:
1. Participates in the annual goal setting and evaluation process for his/her position with the Director of Production and Operations and the Artistic Directors for Ballet and Opera.
2. Attends departmental staff meetings as convened by the Director of Production and Operations. Participates in all individual production meetings. .
3. Attends full DPAA staff meetings as schedule permits; participates in staff or board committees as assigned.
4. Participates in the annual budgeting process for his/her department.
5. Manages special projects and priorities as requested by the Director of Production and Operations.
D) Specific Position Responsibilities:
1. Works collaboratively with Designers, Directors, Choreographers, and the Artistic Directors to cue all assigned productions of staged performances of the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance, including Dayton Ballet and Dayton Opera mainstage shows, collaborative presentations, miscellaneous Dayton Philharmonic presentations that involve theatrical cues, DBII performances and the Dayton Ballet School show.
2. Participates in and manages the studio rehearsal process prior to production weeks for all assigned productions.
3. Prepares rehearsal spaces, including taping floors for assigned opera productions. Also tapes floors for ballet rehearsals, for rehearsals held outside of the main ballet studio space on the Victoria Theatre 4th floor.
4. Works with the Artistic Directors and all production staff to coordinate resources and schedules.
5. Produces and distributes master as well as daily production schedules, working collaboratively with other production staff and the Artistic Administrators.
6. Creates master running sheets and crew cues for all assigned productions.
7. Calls cues for all assigned productions.
8. Runs audio and calls lights and curtain for Ballet School performances in non-Union venues.
9. Arranges Union stagehands for all DPAA staged productions (including all mainstage shows of Dayton Ballet and Dayton Opera) with the IATSE Local Business Agent. Maintains positive working relationship with IATSE personnel.
10. Makes pre-show announcements as necessary and appropriate.
11. Makes dressing room assignments as necessary for all staged productions, in coordination with the Wardrobe Supervisor.
12. Arranges for rental of special equipment needed for productions, including trucks, dry-ice foggers, and projectors.
13. Performs set and prop maintenance as necessary for materials owned by DPAA.
14. Coordinates costume moves/load-in/load-out with Wardrobe Supervisor.
15. Coordinates the posting and distribution of director’s notes.
16. Provides and installs floors as necessary for Dayton Ballet and DBII performances, including education performances in collaboration with the Dayton Philharmonic and Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra.
17. In collaboration with Artistic Administrators, coordinates and supervise load-ins/load-outs from warehouse to theatres of sets, props, lights, and floors. Reserves and drives trucks (up to 26’ non-CDL) as necessary.
18. Sets truck loading calls with IATSE.
19. Serves as Technical Director for productions as assigned.
20. Works collaboratively with all members of the department to assure that contractual obligations are met and work rules observed.
21. Schedules piano tuning as necessary.
E) Line of Communication and Accountability:
The Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager reports to the Director of Production and Operations with a “dotted line” relationship to the three Artistic Directors. He/she works closely with the Director, with the Artistic Directors, and with other members of the department to assure the smooth implementation and presentation of all staged productions of the DPAA.
F) Performance Standards:
The effectiveness of the Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager shall be assessed against the following standards:
1. Smooth functioning, including accuracy, timeliness, and effectiveness, of all operational and logistical details associated with staged productions of the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance.
G) Evaluation/Review Process:
The Opera/Ballet Production Stage Manager participates in an annual performance review with his/her department director based upon a performance plan for his/her position. The performance plan will include established annual goals for the position and metrics of success. Decisions of compensation are ordinarily reviewed annually and are contingent upon the overall performance of the organization. The DPAA is an at-will employer in the State of Ohio.
Interested applicants should send a résumé and cover letter highlighting qualifications as well as salary requirements to Eric Strohecker, Director of Production and Operations, at [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Nothing in the position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.