DAYTON OH (May 24, 2010) – The Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra and Music Director Neal Gittleman will present a free Memorial Day weekend celebration concert on Sunday, May 30 at 7 p.m. as the featured performance of the Dayton Heritage Festival at Carillon Park presented by Time Warner Cable.
Highlights of the DPO’s program will include the baseball classic Casey at the Bat, with narrator Tony Capizzi, and John Williams’s Hymn to the Fallen (from the movie Saving Private Ryan) with narrator Lloyd Bryant. Other selections will include the Battle Hymn of the Republic, a Salute to Veterans of all branches of the armed forces, and Tchaikovsky’s immortal 1812 Overture, complete with cannon shots! In addition, Dayton’s own Wright B Flyer will make a fly-over appearance during the playing of the National Anthem.
Other events of the Dayton Heritage Festival include:
* Grand unveiling of the Deeds Carillon’s newest feature and a spectacular illuminations and fireworks finale
* Special inaugural performance by the Carillon Park Concert Band
* Classic Jazz Stompers – a Dixieland band
* The Day Tones – a strolling barbershop quartet
* All 30 historic buildings and exhibits open – many demonstrations & hands-on activities
* Kid Zone –inflatables, face painting and craft activities
* Time Warner Cable’s CaMM Passport Program children’s activities
* Artisan Pavilion – a unique shopping experience
* Ride the Carillon Park Rail & Steam Society small-scale trains ($1.00 fee)
* The Clodbusters (vintage base ball team) demonstrations
* Americana-style food and beverage for sale
No carried-in food or beverage permitted.
Carillon Park will open at 11 a.m. on May 30 and admission to the Dayton Heritage Festival is FREE. There is a charge of $5 per car for parking.
Raindate for the Dayton Heritage Festival and the DPO performance is Monday, May 31.
Presenting: Time Warner Cable
Additional sponsorship: WinWholesale; Heidelberg Distributing; Vectren; MeadWestvaco; Coolidge Wall; Freund, Freeze & Arnold; Dayton Children’s Medical Center; Wells Fargo Insurance Advisors; Coca–Cola Bottling Company; Liberty Savings Bank; Meijer; Oregon Printing; Logos@Work;
Media sponsorship: Think TV; 99.9 LITE FM; WDPR 88.1