Saturday, May 16, 2020, 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Wright State University, Creative Arts Center
The purpose of this competition is to identify outstanding talented young musicians in the Dayton metropolitan and surrounding areas, to encourage young musicians to pursue further study, and to stimulate competition among student musicians.
• Contestants must be in grades 10–12 during the 2020–2021 school year.
• Contestants must be a member of their high school’s band or orchestra (exceptions are made for piano and home-schooled students).
• First place David L. Pierson Concerto Competition winners may not enter again.
• Contestants may audition on any orchestra instruments.
• Contestants must be legal residents of the state of Ohio (exceptions are made for contestants who are members of the Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestras or students of Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra musicians).
• All auditions will take place the morning of Saturday, May 16, 2020 with the final judging beginning around 12:00 noon. The judges will not hear any auditions prior to or after this date. No exceptions will be made.
• Each contestant will be notified of the exact time of his/her audition about five days before May 16, 2020.
• Neal Gittleman, Artistic Director and Conductor of the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, will judge the finalists immediately following the preliminaries.
• The repertoire selection should be between 3 and 8 minutes in length. Contestants may make cuts if their selection is longer than 8 minutes.
• Contestants should bring an original copy of their musical selection with measure numbers marked. Photocopies are illegal and not permitted.
• The winner of this competition receives a $500 cash award and is the featured soloist with the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra at a Young People’s Concert during the 2020–2021 season. Second- and third-place finalists receive a cash award.
• Application and fee must be postmarked no later than April 27, 2020
• Download the 2020 Concerto Competition Application Form.
• If you have any other questions, please contact Ruth Reveal, Director of Education, [email protected].
Map of Wright State: