COVID-19 Update (6/9/20): The Young Musicians’ Concerto Competition has been changed to a virtual competition. Please read the directions below to submit your audition. Audition videos are due July 1, 2020.
The purpose of this competition is to identify outstanding talented young musicians in the Dayton metropolitan and surrounding areas, to encourage young musicians to pursue further study, and to stimulate competition among student musicians.
• Contestants must be in grades 10–12 during the 2020–2021 school year.
• Contestants must be a member of their high school’s band or orchestra (exceptions are made for piano and home-schooled students).
• First place David L. Pierson Concerto Competition winners may not enter again.
• Contestants may audition on any orchestra instruments.
• Contestants must be legal residents of the state of Ohio (exceptions are made for contestants who are members of the Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestras or students of Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra musicians).
Steps to Submit Your Audition:
1. Film your audition using the guidelines below. Make sure you are in a quiet area and the phone/camera is close enough to see you, your instrument, and your accompanist (use of an accompanist is encouraged but not required)
• Audition selection must be memorized
• An accompanist is encouraged but not required
• Audition selection must be not less than 3 minutes or more than 8 minutes in length (make cuts if necessary).
• Your video should be in one take without edits.
2. Upload your video to YouTube and title your video using the following format. You may have your video be “unlisted” on YouTube, meaning it is not searchable and cannot be accessed without the link.
• Initials_Instrument_Composer (eg. RR_harp_Mozart)
3. Complete the submission form here: 2020 Concerto Competition Submission Form
4. Mail your application fee of $45 (checks made out to “DPAA”) to David L. Pierson Young Musicians’ Concerto Competition, Dayton Performing Arts Alliance, 126 N Main Street, Suite 210, Dayton, OH 45402. Please include the name of the applicant and “Concerto Competition” in the memo line. You may also pay your application fee online at daytonperformingarts.org/education/payments. Under “Payment For” select “Other” and type “Concerto Competition – Student Name” in the box for “What is this payment for?” The fee must be submitted or postmarked by July 1, 2020.
5. All audition videos must be submitted by July 1, 2020.
6. The judges will make determinations about finalists and we will send an update to all applicants regarding results and next steps.
• The winner of this competition receives a $500 cash award and is the featured soloist with the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra at a Young People’s Concert during the 2020–2021 season. Second- and third-place finalists receive a cash award.
• Your video must be submitted by July 1, 2020.
• Download the Revised 2020 Concerto Competition Application Form for more information about requirements. This form does not need to be submitted.
• If you have any other questions, please contact Ruth Reveal, Director of Education, [email protected]