Dayton Ballet is pleased to offer sensory-friendly performances designed especially for children and adults with autism spectrum disorder, sensory sensitivities, or other special needs.
Dayton Ballet will offer one sensory-friendly performance for the 2019–2020 Titans Season:
- • The Nutcracker, Friday, December 20, 2019, 2:00 pm, Schuster Center
What makes this performance sensory-friendly? Our sensory-friendly performances feature a supportive, judgment-free environment with relaxed theater rules. Adaptations to our sensory-friendly performances include the following:
- • Dimmed house lights (30% brightness during the entire performance)
- • Lower sound levels
- • Elimination of startling special effects and lighting
- • Relaxed theater rules—freedom to get up, move around, and come and go as you desire
- • Designated quiet areas
- • Ushers available throughout the Schuster Center to assist patrons
- • Trained and informed dancers, staff, ushers, and other volunteers to ensure a memorable experience for you and your family
We hope these pre-performance resources will help you and your family prepare for your day at the ballet. Please check back here as this section is updated. Please contact Ruth Reveal, Director of Education, if you have any questions regarding Sensory-Friendly performances, [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
Sequence of Events
Visual Check List
Non Visual Check List
Dayton Ballet’s sensory-friendly performance of The Nutcracker is presented with the support of the the Physicians’ Charitable Foundation of the Miami Valley, and in cooperation with Victoria Theatre Association and Dayton Children’s. Dayton Ballet’s The Nutcracker is produced and presented by the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance.