Dayton Ballet is pleased to offer sensory-friendly performances designed especially for children and adults with autism spectrum disorder, sensory sensitivities, or other special needs.
Dayton Ballet will offer two sensory-friendly performances for the 2018–2019 Vistas Season:
- The Nutcracker, Thursday, December 20, 2018, 2:00 pm, Schuster Center
- Sleeping Beauty: The Story of Briar Rose, Saturday, April 13, 2019, 2:00 pm, Schuster Center
What makes these performances sensory-friendly? Our sensory-friendly performances feature a supportive, judgment-free environment with relaxed theater rules. Adaptations to our sensory-friendly performances include the following:
- Dimmed house lights (30% brightness during the entire performance)
- Lower sound levels
- Elimination of startling special effects and lighting
- Relaxed theater rules—freedom to get up, move around, and come and go as you desire
- Designated quiet areas
- Ushers available throughout the Schuster Center to assist patrons
- Trained and informed dancers, staff, ushers, and other volunteers to ensure a memorable experience for you and your family
Sleeping Beauty: The Story of Briar Rose
We hope these pre-performance resources will help you and your family prepare for your day at the ballet. Please contact Ruth Reveal, Director of Education, if you have any questions regarding Sensory-Friendly performances, [email protected].