Dayton Ballet’s The Nutcracker is BACK!!!!
Dayton Ballet is excited to announce auditions for children’s roles in its 2021 production of The Nutcracker. Auditions will be held on Saturday, September 25, 2021, from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm at Dayton Ballet’s downtown studios at 140 N. Main Street, 4th Floor, Dayton, OH.
Eligible Dancers for Auditions
This year, due to safety concerns related to COVID-19, dancers must meet ALL THREE of the following criteria to be qualified to audition for roles in the Dayton Ballet 2021 production of The Nutcracker:
1) Dancers must be 67″ inches (5’7″) tall or under
2) Dancers must be 12 to 16 years of age
3) Dancers must have had at least one vaccination prior to audition. Proof of vaccination must be shown on the day of auditions.
At this time, children under the age of 12 are ineligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, per FDA and CDC guidelines. Therefore, children under the age of 12 unfortunately are not eligible to audition for Dayton Ballet’s 2021 production of The Nutcracker. Please continue to check back here for any updated audition information, as policies are subject to change.
There is no fee to audition, and no résumé is required.
All eligible dancers must download a Dayton Ballet 2021 Audition Form, and they must bring a completed form to the audition. Dayton Ballet 2021 Audition Forms can be downloaded here: Dayton Ballet 2021 Audition Form
What to Wear to Auditions
Audition attire for girls is a solid-color leotard, pink tights, ballet shoes, and a mask. All hair must be prepared in a bun prior to the audition.
Audition attire for boys is white tee; black tights, jazz pants, or shorts; socks; ballet shoes; and a mask.
Masks must be worn during the entire audition process. Note: if cast in the production, dancers will also be required to wear masks throughout the entire rehearsal process.
Eligible dancers should arrive at Dayton Ballet dressed in their dancewear, with a small bag for shoes, warm-ups, and water. Please be mindful of our limited space and bring only what is necessary for the audition. We encourage students not to bring valuables to the audition.
Before the Audition
- Auditions will be held from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm on Saturday, September 25, 2021 at Dayton Ballet’s downtown studios at 140 N. Main Street, 4th Floor, Dayton, OH.
- Sign-ins for auditions will take place one half hour prior to audition start time. Completed Audition Forms will be collected at this time.
- Height requirements and age requirements will be verified by Dayton Ballet staff at the door prior to admission to the audition. Vaccination status will also be verified.
- Parents will drop their dancer off at the Dayton Ballet door, dancers will be measured and registered, and dancers will be given a number to wear. Dancers will then be escorted up the elevator to the studios by Dayton Ballet staff and volunteers.
- Dancers may be released any time before 3:00 pm, so parents are asked to remain accessible by phone and in close proximity, in the event of an early pick-up time.
After the Audition
- When auditions are over, dancers will be escorted back down to the lobby of the Victoria Theatre, where they can be picked up by authorized individuals.
- Dancers will be notified of the status of their auditions via email.
- All casting decisions will be delivered at the mandatory parent/dancer meeting at the Schuster Center on October 16, 2021 at 3:00pm. Casting is at the sole discretion of the Dayton Ballet artistic team, and all casting decisions are final.
- Cast members must be available for rehearsals beginning October 29, 2021 through December 9, 2021. Additionally, cast members must be available for all Nutcracker performance times.
There will be a mandatory parent/dancer meeting for parents of accepted dancers on Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 3:00 pm at the Schuster Center in the Mead Theatre.
There will be a $25 fee to cover administrative costs for those children who are cast in the production. The $25 fee will be collected at this initial mandatory parent/dancer meeting.
The rehearsal schedule will be posted and can be found at https://daytonperformingarts.org/nutcracker-auditions/ after October 16, 2021.
Note that no more than one excused absence for illness is permitted. All casting is final, and no changes can be made based on personal schedules.
Dayton Ballet’s The Nutcracker performances dates and times* are listed here:
Friday, December 10, 2021, at 7:30 pm
Saturday, December 11, 2021, at 2:30 pm and 7:30 pm
Sunday, December 12, 2021, at 2:30 pm
Friday, December 17, 2021, at 7:30 pm
Saturday, December 18, 2021, at 2:30 pm and 7:30 pm
Sunday, December 19, 2021, at 2:30 pm
*Note: Performances will alternate between two casts. Cast members should be available for all performances, even if they are not being called.