Click here for UPDATED Class Schedule – Both Locations
Download 2018–2019 School Brochure
Click here for School Handbook
Click here for SSK Rec West information
For more information regarding classes at both the downtown Dayton studio or Washington Twp. Rec West location, call Ballet School Administrator Anne Davis at (937) 223-1542 or email her.
Dayton Ballet School Summer 2019
Summer Intensives and Preschool Dance Camps—Dance with us this summer!
July 15–19, 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon: Preschool Dance Camp
- NEW OFFERING! Ages 4 to 6
July 15–26: Two full weeks of dancing for ages 9 to 13
- Morning: Ballet, pointe/pointe prep, strength and conditioning
- Afternoon: Modern, rhythm, jazz classes and more!
- Choose one week or two, mornings or afternoons
July 29–August 2: Intensive for age 14 and older
- Morning: Ballet, pointe, and variations
- Afternoon: Jazz, modern, conditioning and more!
Guest teachers from New York, Wright State University, Stivers School…more information to come!
New Location for the South School
Washington Township Recreation Center (Rec West), 965 Miamisburg-Centerville Road – click here for the 2018–2019 schedule.
The Dayton Performing Arts Alliance and the Washington Township Recreation Department are proud to announce a new partnership. The Dayton Ballet School now offers a full range of ballet classes for children and adults at Washington Township’s Rec West Enrichment Center, conveniently located at 965 Miamisburg-Centerville Rd (near the corner of Rte. 725 and McEwen Rd.).
The new partnership with Washington Township Recreation Department will continue the work of Dayton Ballet School’s Susan S. Kettering Branch, serving the South Dayton area.
This function is not sponsored by Washington Township.
90 Years of Excellence!
The mission of the Dayton Ballet School is to provide the very finest dance training to any child or adult who seeks to experience the wonder and the fun of dance.
The goal of the School is to serve the community by not only strengthening the body, but also by introducing accomplishments and discipline to the spirit of all participants.
The unique and distinct opportunities available only at Dayton Ballet are the exposure to the full range of experiences that come with the proximity to a professional dance company.
Founded by Josephine and Hermene Schwarz in 1927, the Dayton Ballet School is the oldest dance school in Dayton and one of the oldest dance schools in the United States. It is the only ballet school in the Miami Valley associated with a professional dance company.
From the beginning, the school’s primary goal has been to prepare dancers for professional careers. Some of our best-known graduates have danced with prestigious companies such as New York City Ballet, Alvin Ailey, San Francisco Ballet, Atlanta Ballet and North Carolina Dance Theatre. Others have performed on Broadway and taught in schools and universities.
The school realizes, however, that most of our students will not pursue a career in dance. These students benefit in many ways from dance by building grace and poise and by obtaining the mental and physical discipline that promotes a strong and focused character. Many students follow related careers in physical therapy, costume design, scene design or teaching. They also form a discriminating and appreciative dance audience. Josephine Schwarz, referred to as Miss Jo, asked that we continue the tradition by her and Miss Hermene of “offering the highest quality dance training to professionals and non-professionals alike.”
Dayton Ballet School students enjoy many performing opportunities. Dayton Ballet II Senior and Junior Companies are our pre-professional training companies chosen by audition and often perform with the Dayton Ballet dancers in selected works. Dayton Ballet II and Level V students also perform a special presentation at the end of the school year.
Dayton Ballet II Senior and Junior Company Auditions
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to audition time for registration.
- Friday, May 3, 2019 | 4:30: DBII Jr./Scholarship auditions, ages 10–14 (Must be 14 for school year)
- Friday, May 3, 2019 | 6:00: DBII Sr./Scholarship auditions, age 14 and older
Some of Dayton Ballet School’s best-known graduates:
- Rebecca Wright performed with American Ballet Theatre, on Broadway in Merlin, and with Joffrey Ballet.
- Dan Duell danced with the New York City Ballet and is the artistic director of the Chicago Ballet.
- Donna Wood performed with Alvin Ailey.
- Stuart Sebastian is the former Dayton Ballet artistic director and worked with Washington National Ballet.
- Bonnie Pickard danced with Suzanne Farrell Ballet.
- Rebecca Carmazzi performed with Dayton Ballet, BalletMet and the North Carolina Ballet Theatre.
- Penny Freeh is a choreographer for the James Sewell Ballet.
- Jeraldyne Blunden was the founder and former director of the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company.
- Peter Means was a company member with Milwaukee Ballet, Washington Ballet and Ballet Met.
- School Receptionist Carol Jean Heller danced with Ballet Repertory in New York.