BALLET AUDITIONS for the 2020–2021 Dayton Performing Arts Alliance Season
For auditions, please bring résumé and photo; there is no registration fee. Dayton Ballet holds the right to release dancers from the audition after barre.
Résumés and videos may be sent to [email protected]
Female Dancers…5’3″ and above
Male Dancers…5’8″ and above
2020–2021 AUDITION DATES AND LOCATIONS
Dayton Studio Audition: Sunday, April 19, 2020
140 N. Main St., Fourth Floor, Dayton, OH 45402
Sign-in: 12:30 p.m.
Class: 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- All performances take place in union theaters.
- All Nutcrackers are accompanied by the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Dayton Ballet also performs with the Dayton Opera.
- Contract for 2020–2021 season is approximately 30 weeks.
- Health insurance offered.
- Next Step Fund: After one year’s residency, Dayton Ballet dancers may enroll in scholarship-funded online courses at Sinclair Community College.
- Repertory for 2020–2021 season includes Septime Webre’s Peter Pan, The Nutcracker, Kylián’s Sechs Tänze, Robbins’ Interplay, and Sleepy Hollow.
Please read carefully and submit the following:
A video without special editing, consisting of the following performed in leotard and tights for women and tight-fitting dance attire for men:
- A short classical variation drawn from the standard repertoire, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants showing turns and jumps. May be in studio or in performance.
- A short contemporary variation (that could consist of something drawn from repertoire, phrases from classwork or an applicant-created work) that illustrates the applicant’s range of movement different from that demonstrated in the classical variation. Females can be in flat slippers.
- 2–3 minutes of barre work, danced in soft shoes
- 3–5 minutes of centre work that includes adagio, pirouettes, petit and grand allegro, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants
- For male dancers, demonstration of partnering skills
- Two professional reference contacts
Dancers who audition by video may be asked to visit Dayton to be evaluated in person. Currently, the weeks of March 24–27 and April 14–17 are available for company class auditions. Class is at 9:00 a.m. Dayton Ballet will endeavor to notify all auditionees of results within two weeks by email.
For more information about the company, please visit daytonperformingarts.org, or join us on Facebook: DaytonBallet